15 August, 2006

My Dissertation

I have decided to upload my dissertation onto Writely. It is entitled 'Them and Us - An Empirical Investigation into the Confusion of PR Officials over the Differences between Publicists and PR Practitioners' and is available here.

I decided to use Writely after my recent collaboration with nine other blogger to create How to Ruin Your Corporate Blog: 100 Tips by 10 Bloggers for Business Blog Wire.

By way of an extract from my dissertation this is my Executive Summary:

This Paper aims to investigate the confusion within the PR industry over the differences between Publicists and PR Practitioners.

The research highlights uncertainty within the Public Relations community as to the correct labelling of roles with in PR. Although not many texts have been written on the subject, the author identifies that this lack of clear labelling may inhibit the Public Relations industry from progressing to professionality, through its direct contribution to building mistrust of the profession.

An extensive critical Literature Review has highlighted the need for such an investigation. This allowed the author to formulate certain key theories. These themes and theories have then been put to professionals from Public Relations vocations. Primary data was then reviewed by the author and recommendations are made with regards to future research.

Although this research offers few solutions, it adds depth to existing theory and will aid further study into this area. It was found that there is indeed confusion amongst the PR community regarding the job descriptions of their peers. The conclusion suggests that further research is partaken in this field. There is also a need for further education for PR personnel as to what the correct job descriptions are for their peers, to help reduce the existence of confusion and misinterpretation.

Although at the time it was the bane of my life, I am now very proud of my dissertation and the achievements it stands for. Thank you to all who helped, although you are not named I am sure you may recognise your answers at the appendices.

11 comments:

anonymous said...

Dissertation, yuck! That is, I don't envy the work you had to put into it - but I'm sure it's a marvelous accomplishment. Way to go, Alex!

Alex Pullin said...

Cheers Easton. It was bloody hard work, but hey it is rather special to have.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to that whern I finish what I'm curretnylreading. The problem with the internet is you can download stuff to read 'when you get round to it' but then struggle to squeeze it all in!

Do you want to read my dissertation on the influence of the Tudor invasion on modern Irish poetry since 1970? No? why ever not!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making your dissertation available on the web!

Is there a username/password needed to access the document? I followed the link you posted and found a password-protected Writely page :)

Alex Pullin said...

I'll try and sort it out...

Alex Pullin said...

OK it should work now!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed glancing at that (it's a good example the Writely way to do it, too). Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Dissertation Help is a very useful tool so that you can easily submit your dissertation on time.

Susan Bell said...

Hy Alex Pullin Dissertation writing was such a nightmare for me. Your blog helped me write my dissertation on time. Thanks for this valuable information. Regards

Margarita Ballard said...

it is good that you published your work online, but I think the link doesn’t work anymore, Alex. It would certainly help people to know how to write a phd dissertation if ever they are on the same field as you. And it can also be a great source of information and data for people who tackle the same topic. Anyway, hope that the link would be up again soon.

Unknown said...

It's no a secret any longer that professional and certified cv experts were capable to provide hundreds jobless people with detailed and well-structured resumes!